Wednesday, June 18, 2014

AUTHOR'S CIRCLE interviews REET SINGH

On Author’s Circle today, meet author and surgeon, 

Reet Singh, to talk about writing, life and her book, 

Hi Reet, thanks for dropping in and wow! You're the second romance author slash doctor that I personally know. I'm quite curious about what kind of surgeon but won't ask since you clearly have your author's cap on today :)

So, lets talk Scorched by His Fire. What's it about?

RS: Scorched is about Mita, who lives in Mauritius and is not ready for marriage, but has an Uncle who has made it his life's work to find her a suitable boy. She meets Tanay, who hates her for reasons quite bizarre from Mita's point of view; she, in her turn, finds him obnoxious, rude and over-bearing. They have their individual, twisted reasons for hatching a common plan - presenting a united front to their respective families. By pretending to be engaged, they seemingly have the perfect arrangement - until Tanay kisses Mita! The attraction between them is scorching; unfortunately, it wasn't part of the common plan, so, naturally, they fight it, and that's when the fun really starts.

What’s your favorite line from your novel? Why?
RS: There are about 6000 favorite lines and it's very hard for me to choose! So I'm going to close my eyes and flip pages, and take the first line on that page. Here it is:
‘Must you wear clothes?’ Mita asked wistfully. ‘You look perfectly delicious without.'

Do you have any strange writing habits?
RS: Only if you count slouching in bed, with the laptop perched precariously on my lap as strange!

Ha! I write in bed too :)

If your book becomes a movie whom would you want to play the hero and the heroine?
RS: Tanay Devkumar would have to be played by George Clooney, because nobody does obnoxious, rude and overbearing as handsomely as Clooney! Mita Ramphul is feisty and headstrong, and so Julia Roberts would suit her well. Dream on, Reet!

Well, dreams do come true sometimes...

How did you become a writer? In other words, tell us YOUR STORY.
RS: My husband and I used to tell stories to our sons every night when they were little. Since we were busy professionals, bed time was precious, and the stories were concocted right there, right then. Naturally, then, my first effort was a book for children. I blogged on Sulekha.com (as Seeingeye) for a while, and I have to say, I learned a lot from the feedback  that is an inherent part of Sulekha. When Harlequin® India announced Passions, I was primed, and when I won last year, there was no looking back.

What is your least favorite part about the writing/publishing profession?
RS: Marketing, I'm afraid. It is a lot of work and takes me away from my reading and from writing my current work (also for Harlequin® India), not to mention my medical writing!

Why write what you write? As in romance or suspense or thrillers?
RS: Romance fits. I feel it, and it flows from my heart on to the page. And it ends happily, which is a fantastic thing – to have that power as a writer is very fulfilling.

Is there a certain scene you find difficult to write? Eg: Racy or action etc.? Why?
RS: I'll pick racy, although I don't find it difficult to write – deciding how racy to be is the hard part. As an author of romance, if I show too little, my readers might feel let down; on the other hand, too much might be distasteful to some of my fans. Its a tightrope!

Is your writing character-driven or plot-driven?
RS: Scorched was character driven – Mita and Tanay pretty much decided everything, and I kept recording it as fast as I could. With my second romance (out later this year) I've done a bit of plotting – I'll wait for readers to tell me if they notice a tangible difference in the writing!

Which is the best character you’ve written? Is he or she your favorite? Why?
RS: Rudy Bhatnagar, whom nobody has met yet, because he is in book two. Rudy is both my best and my favorite (sorry Tanay!). He is a doctor, slightly damaged, but is sexy and sensitive, considerate and passionate – quite the complete package.

What do you wish to convey through your writing?
RS: Love and happy endings. And world peace!

What can we expect from you next?
RS: Book two from Harlequin® India is almost ready to send to my editor. I've tentatively titled it 'One Memorable Night in his Bed' and am very excited about it.

To end lets try a Rapid Fire round. Your answer should be the first word/s that pops into your head when you think of:
LIFE: Contentment
PASSION: Reading
HERO: Army
LOVE: Strength
HATE: Intolerance

Thank you once again, Reet, for being here and giving us a peek into your writer's life. It was fun!

Reet Singh is a nom de plume. To connect with Reet click on the links below.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Falguni, for hosting me. I love that you found Clooney for me! Really enjoyed talking to you!

    ReplyDelete